By Alli Brooks
Recipes were found through the websites ‘Delish’, ‘Iheartnaptime’, and ‘The Cookie Rookie’.
With the season of Fall comes comfort and warmth. The best place to find that is through food! Today I will be sharing three fun fall recipes that are delicious and sure to impress you and anyone you share them with!
To start we have a fresh, fall salad. Salads are so simple and this one has some extra touches to fit the season.
The ingredients for the Easy Fall Salad are:
- Greens and lettuce
- Dried cranberries
- Pumpkin seeds
- Cheese of choice (mine is goat cheese)
- Shredded chicken (optional)
- Roasted butternut squash (optional)
The first step to make this recipe is to wash off all your produce.
- Then take your greens of choice. It can be lettuce or kale or spinach. Place them in a large bowl or a small bowl for an individual salad.
- Cut the apples into cubed pieces and place them on top of the salad along with the cranberries and pumpkin seeds.
- If you wanted to add chicken or roasted butternut squash, you could add them in at this point. To roast the squash cut it into cubed pieces and set on a baking sheet and put olive oil and salt on them. Set the oven to 425 degrees F. and roast in there for 40 minutes. If you wish to add chicken you would just buy pre-cooked chicken and shred it with a fork or cook it and then shred it, it is up to you.
- A dressing to go on this salad would be a sweet vinaigrette or regular vinaigrette as it will bring out the fall flavors. You can also use any dressing of your preference.
Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 large squash
- 2 potatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 3 tbsp. extra olive oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 onion
- 1 celery stalk (thinly sliced)
- 1 large carrot (chopped)
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme
- 1 qt. chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and put the butternut squash and potatoes on baking sheet in the oven. Season with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast from 25 minutes or until tender.
In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter and add olive oil. Add the vegetables in and cook until softened (7-10 minutes) season with salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Add the squash and potatoes to the pot and pour over chicken broth. Simmer for 10 minutes, then blend in an immersion blender until creamy.
- Serve with a garnish of thyme!
Pumpkin Pie Brownies
- Box brownie mix of your choice
- ½ can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 6 oz cream cheese
- 3 table spoons of sugar
- 1 table spoon pumpkin pie spice (cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, ginger, mace, cloves)
- ½ cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to instructed temperature on the brownie mix box.
- In one bowl mix the brownie mix and add the chocolate chips if desired.
- In a separate bowl mix the pumpkin, cream cheese (softened), sugar, and pumpkin pie spice. Mix until very smooth.
- Spray your pan with oil, then pour a layer of brownie mix. Spreading it to be sure it covers the whole bottom. Then add the pumpkin mix. You can do it in chunks or try to spread it out evenly. Lastly add the leftover brownie mix back on top.
- Put in the oven and bake for an extra 10 minutes than recommended on the box.
To learn more about these recipes, check out @rocketsjournalism on Instagram for an IGTV video!!