Goal, Swish and Homerun: Life of an Assumption Tri-Sport Athlete

Life for any high school athlete is difficult, but what about a tri-sport athlete! Well, Assumption High School as their very own super athlete, Junior Lauren Campisano. In her third year of athletics at Assumption, Lauren plays a vital role on the state championship winning field hockey team, basketball team and softball, playing a sport in every season.

In her first season with Assumption field hockey, Campisano helped lead the Rockets to the state finals. According to KHSAA statistics, Campisano led the team in goals on the season with 19 and was ranked 11 in the state. She was also named to the 2023 All-Tournament State team.

Campisano states, “Playing in the Field hockey state final was such a happy memory because even though we lost, I felt like we gave it our everything in that game and our teammates picked each other up after losing and I think it made us all closer as friends in the end.”

Following the fall season, Campisano jumps onto the court for basketball. In the 2022-2023 season, Campisano stated 315 points for the year, averaging 9.8 per game. After talking with her about the transition, she stated, “I do think transitioning from one sport to another can be difficult because you’re having to adjust to being with different people and adjust to playing a different sport that you probably haven’t played in a while. Other than that, I find it exciting because you’re getting to see teammates that you haven’t seen in a while other than in the hallways at school.”

Campisano helped lead the Rockets to the 7th region semi-final her sophomore year, after defeating Male High School 69-64 in the district final, previously beating them 100-91 in the regular season. “Beating male 100-91 is such a good memory because our team played together so well that game and it brought us so much closer. Beating them a second time in districts was such a fun experience because in the past years, we would tend to lose to male, but after that win we had beat them twice that season, so everyone felt so much joy and fulfillment.”

Campisano ends the long basketball season and transitions back outside for Spring softball. Although this transition would typically be deemed difficult for a student-athlete, Campisano feels supported by the Assumption community on her athletic journey.

“The thing I love the most about the Assumption community is that it is so supportive of the student athletes. Parents, teachers, coaches, and students all make sacrifices to contribute to the success of Assumption athletics. Parents are constantly working gate entrances and concession stands, teachers are working with their athletes to ensure that when they go out of town for games that they get their work caught up, coaches are teaching these athletes lessons that can’t be taught at school, and students are at every game supporting their classmates and cheering them on.” Leading yet another team, Campisano helped contribute to the success of the Rocket softball team who fell short in the 7th region championship game to Ballard High School.

Campisano has a bright future ahead of her, no matter the sport she chooses to continue with at the collegiate level. Outside of athletics, Campisano was asked how she balances sports, school and a social life, where she stated, “To make sure I’m keeping up with my schoolwork while also making time for my sports, I make good use of my study period and try to plan out certain times when I should do my homework depending on when I have practice or games. As for balancing social life, many of my friends are teammates of mine so I get to see them while also engaging in my sport. For those who aren’t teammates, they understand that I am an athlete and that most of my time is spent on a field or in the gym, so they are always supportive and willing to work around my schedule to make plans.” Assumption is proud of Campisano and her accomplishments and look forward to her future success at the collegiate level.