Newly instituted bathroom lanyard passes and yellow pass slips frequent the AHS halls when classes are in session.
Stelle Bensenhaver

What you Need to Know about Assumption’s New Hall Pass Rule

On January 8, Assumption students were welcomed back to second semester with a new surprise- hall passes. While in the past, students were allowed to leave the classroom without the now infamous yellow slip or purple lanyard, the second semester has brought forth new rules to cut down on in-class wandering, leaving some students less than pleased. But why is our administration cracking down, and why now? Our dean of students, Kamaria Wesley, provided the Rocket Launch with the background, reasoning and new plan for school hall passes.  

First, Wesley wants our student body to know that these new passes are not a punishment. Instead, it is a permission slip for a student to go where they need to be. Just like a driver’s license, students need written permission to make sure they are in the right place doing the right thing.  

Administration has seen an increase of student hall wandering in the past few years, and although the act may seem harmless to a bored or antsy student, it can put the school and student alike in danger. While there were not any specific events that lead to this rule being enforced, Wesley joked that every time you hear a student’s name called throughout the building is reason enough for the passes to exist. Hall passes prevent this and ensure a student is in a location where they can be reached. 

Wesley says that students are already seeing benefits from the implementation of hall passes. Since students are no longer allowed to roam the halls at their leisure, they are spending more time in the classroom, which means they are spending more time learning. Wesley hopes that because this rule increases learning time, we will see a subsequent rise in grades.  

Even though this new rule is here to say, Wesley told the Rocket Launch that she loves hearing our students’ ideas and encourages any student with any new ideas about the passes to reach out to her via email or in her office.  

So, the next time you get disgruntled about having to carry a yellow slip, purple lanyard, or even a Y axe, just remember, it is for your safety and wellbeing.