Assumption Takes on the Kentucky United Nations Assembly

Sophomore Sabrina Paul applauded during General Assembly after a resolution was passed.
Davan Alvey

The Kentucky United Nations Assembly is an annual conference where students gather to discuss worldwide issues, debate resolutions, and express their opinions. Assumption’s Y Chapter took 21 members to the conference to represent Canada. Ten club members participated in special programs during the conference.

Assumption had members participate in the International Court of Justice, Media Corps, and Secretariat programs at the conference. In addition to special program participants Assumption had a few students step up in other ways. Junior Lauren Kuprion ran for presiding officer, seniors Emma Nevitt and Morgan Schulz served as committee chairs, and freshman Elise Crump was a resolution sponsor.

Preparation for the Kentucky United Nations Assembly starts early second semester. Resolution authors came up with ideas, drafted resolutions, and prepared speeches. Secretariat program members read over resolutions to draft speeches and opinions of the office. International Court of Justice Advocates dissected the legality of certain documents and cases. Ambassadors reviewed debate procedures, researched their assigned country, and designed a booth for the World Expo exhibit. Club members spent a few weeks researching facts, designing the trifold, and gathering supplies for the exhibit.

When asked about her preparation for the International Court of Justice program, junior Maggie Miller said, “It was very interesting to me and my partner working together to write arguments and rebuttals, and I would definitely do it again.”

On the last day of the conference, an award ceremony was held. Assumption received two awards: Freshman Elise Crump earned Outstanding Ambassador and Assumption received a Premiere Delegation Award.

Assumption’s Y Chapter President Eli Lewantowicz said “KUNA was as fun and successful as ever for our AHS delegation. Elise Crump proved this to be true through her resolution representing Canada passing to endorsement by the Secretary General. I am excited to see how our delegation grows and represents Assumption’s values in the United Nations next year.”