Rose Theatre Company Takes a Chance on Mamma Mia!

The highly anticipated musical Mamma Mia! hit the Assumption Rose Theatre stage on October 27. The disco upbeat vibes and ABBA music makes Mamma Mia a sensational musical that everyone loves. Mamma Mia will be performed on October 27, 28 and 29, and November 2, 3, 4 and 5.

Before the first performance, Mamma Mia! sold out! This is a major milestone in the Rose Theatre Company community. The last show Rose Theatre Company sold out was West Side story 10 years ago. The story of Mamma Mia! brings success and the Assumption community together.

The Mamma Mia story takes place on a beautiful Greek island. The soon-to-be bride, Sophie, is looking for her true birth father and invites the 3 potential Dads to her wedding. Her mother, Donna, is conflicted by this and then the story unfolds. Even though many are attracted to the show by its catchy songs and 70s flashy aesthetic, Mamma Mia! has a lot more to it.

Director Mr. Stairs says that the main themes are discovering who you are, chasing your dreams, and recognizing the family you can fall back on. Sophie’s caught between the family she’s born into and family she’s choosing.  He says that Sophie’s story can translate into the education of Assumption because it’s important to remember who we are when facing choices and determining what we want.

Although the plot of the story stays true, Rose Theatre will turn Mamma Mia! into their own unique production. Rose Theatre is filled with student leaders and they put their own spin onto the show. Mr. Stairs even hints at surprises for the show.

“I want people to come and have fun!” says Mr. Stairs. Mamma Mia is full of fun and dancing. The light, sweet and inviting story brings people together. Many Assumption students are taking a chance on Rose Theatre and seeing Mamma Mia! this fall!