Coldplay releases another hit album with Ghost Stories

Katie Reilly

It’s always difficult for a band to continue to make music that keeps old fans satisfied and brings new ones in. Ghost Stories is yet another addition to Coldplay’s albums that does just that.

Every Coldplay album has a completely different sound than the one before it. The last album, Mylo Xyloto, had a more Japanese rock feel, while Ghost Stories has a mellower tone. Chris Martin’s recent “conscious uncoupling” from Gwyneth Paltrow affected the overall tone and lyrics of each song.

One of their singles off of the album, “A Sky Full of Stars,” was produced by Avicii, which wasn’t a very good mix. Coldplay has never been a band to use a lot of electronic sounds, so this was an interesting choice. With that being the weakest track on the album, “Another’s Arms” is the strongest. Its lyrics are heartbreaking and sweet, and with the soft piano and background female vocals, it makes for an incredible track.

Ghost Stories only has nine official tracks, but at Target the extended edition has three bonus tracks. It’s definitely worth the trip to get the hard copy CD rather than buying the nine songs on iTunes for the same price.

Coldplay has been around for close to 20 years, and yet they still continue to impress their fans and show everyone that they’re not going anywhere.

coldplay ghost stories