Amazing Assumption Athletes: AG Gibson

Amazing Assumption Athletes: AG Gibson

Assumption athletics have always excelled due to the high level of talent produced at the high school level. But, while the rest of the Assumption community enjoyed the highly anticipated Mission Week of 2024, senior AG Gibson got to experience something she’s only ever dreamed of. Gibson, a soccer star, led Assumption’s 2023 team with 17 goals and 15 assists. On February 25, her dreams came true when Gibson received a call to play with the professional Louisville Racing women’s team. When asked to describe the event, Gibson stated, “I got a call around 5 o’clock on Sunday, February 25 and it was from the Academy Director and the Women’s Academy Director telling me they got a direct call from head coach Beverley Yanez asking if I am able to fly to Colombia to play with the team due to injuries.” Gibson was given only one hour to discuss this opportunity with her parents, which they concluded was not something she could pass up.

While Gibson was astonished by this amazing opportunity, her hard work with Assumption soccer and Racing contributed to her success in South America. “I had trained with the racing team previously to their departure to Colombia and am constantly putting in 110% at every practice and workout.” Gibson has always dreamed of playing her sport professionally, and this week gave her a glimpse into what that future may look like. “The best part about the entire trip was getting a glimpse of what it might be like to play soccer professionally. That has been my dream and getting to be able to play alongside the team during this trip was amazing.”

After graduating from Assumption, Gibson plans to stay close to home and attend the University of Louisville, where she will continue her soccer journey at the Division I level. She believes this amazing experience has prepared her for the faster pace of collegiate soccer and plans to use skills she has learned to make her college transition on the field easier.

Gibson has represented Assumption well her last four years at the high school level, and we wish her all the best as she continues to further her accomplishments in her soccer journey!