Rockets defeat Valkyries to go on to face winner of Ballard and Male game

Katie Monaghan

It was a short and sweet victory for Assumption over their arch-rivals Sacred Heart in the seventh regional semi-final held at Louisville’s Ulmer stadium. After the Rockets had defeated the Valkyries last April, they were looking to do the same, but this time there were bigger stakes at hand, which was to advance in the Kentucky Softball State Tournament.

The Rockets led the Valkyries 1-0 in the first inning with Alyssa Tarquinio, senior, hitting to get Sabrina Fussenegger, sophomore, to score. Fussenegger went on to pitch a quick second inning with only four batters coming to the plate and allowing one on base

At the bottom of the second, the Rockets took control of the game. The Rockets went on a 6-0 run until the Valkyries defense were finally able to stop Assumption from scoring. The third inning began with great pitching from Fussenegger, but even better defense from the Rockets. The Rockets defense continued the rest of the game with a three-batter strike out at the top of each inning.

Throughout the two final innings, the Valkyries continued to struggle getting on base while Rockets extended their lead four runs making the game 10-0.  The Rockets run ruled the Valkyries 10-0 in the top of the fifth inning to end the game. Among many of the players who scored Maddie Sweeney, junior, was one of them. Sweeney had two runs to score, one out, and was 1-2 with a walk.

Sweeney and the Rockets were excited to beat their arch-rivals, but they were even more excited to advance to the regional finals. The Rockets will face the winner of the Ballard and Male game in the Seventh Regional Championship Game that will be played at Ulmer stadium on Friday, May 30, at 5:30 p.m.

softball- kmonaghan

1,359
View Comments (1,359)