AHS Rocket Launch

The Student News Site of Assumption High School

AHS Rocket Launch

AHS Rocket Launch

Book Review: Malala Makes a Movement

“I Am Malala” a biography written by Malala Yousafzai makes sure inspiration is taken to a whole new level. The story of “the girl who stood up for education and was shot by the Taliban” is a well written book with a fantastic message.

This story begins by explaining how Malala’s father was not congratulated after her birth due to the fact that she was a girl. Although it is a custom of the Pashtuns (a group of Pakistani people) that it is a disappointing day when a girl is born, Malala’s father rejoiced. He fell in love with her the second he held her.

Her father, Ziauddin Yousafzai, pushed to start a school that would be available for all the children of their village. Malala and her father spoke up for the rights of people even when the Taliban invaded their country.

This story is written in an informal voice and sounds as if Malala is in the room having a conversation with readers. Sometimes she jumps from one subject to another in the middle of the paragraph.

Malala’s point of view throughout the story is very positive, she shares with us some tough experiences that her and her family have been through, including earthquakes and leaving their home because of the invading Taliban. Throughout all these tough experiences she always looks to God and her family to push her through.

Overall “I am Malala” is a very powerful and moving story that makes people want to get up and make a difference just like Malala has.

By: Anna Gibson