Making sense of Sense and Sensibility

Victoria Shircliffe

Sense and Sensibility, by Jane Austen, is the story of two sisters who stand by each other through both love and heartbreak. Following the death of their father, the main character, Elinor, her sister Marianne, their younger sister Margaret, and their mother find themselves cast out of their house by their greedy sister-in-law.

Elinor’s love interest, Edwards Ferrars, is the brother of her sister-in-law, but when the girls move to their new home, Elinor loses touch with Edward. After their move, Marianne meets two different men who both like her, and Marianne is positive that one of them is the love of her life.

The novel shows Elinor and Marianne’s lives as they live away from home and meet many interesting people. The sisters’ contrasting views on love – sense and sensibility: demure and emotional – provide for a great plot filled with arguments, irony, and laughter.

Sense and Sensibility is a heavy read, but it’s definitely worth the time, especially if you’re a romantic. It’s a story filled with romance, love triangles, heartbreak, and misunderstandings.

Austen uses a lot of sarcasm and satire to make the novel come alive. This, combined with the interesting plot, make it the perfect book for a summer read.

Book Review- Sense and Sensibility

View Comments (1)