Assumption Community waves goodbye to their beloved Sister Prisca

Jennifer Buckman

Faculty, staff, students, and other Mercy Sisters waited outside on Tyler Lane on May 23 to say their goodbyes to Sister Prisca as she left for her journey to the Mercy Convent in Nashville, Tennessee.

Teachers of all subjects and grades took time out of their schedule to ensure Sr. Prisca received the goodbye she deserved. Students lined the right side of the road and waved tissues in the air as they waited for Sr. Prisca and Sr. Dorthea to process out of the driveway in their cars. The tissues stood in place for white handkerchiefs, which are used in an old Mercy Tradition as a way to “wave goodbye” when a sister leaves.

Once they started to come out, the street filled with screams, claps, and cheers. Tissues waved in the air and smiles were across everyone’s faces; a few tears were even shed.

Once the cars proceeded down Bardstown Road, students broke out into the Assumption Fight Song, which was chanted over and over again. The other Mercy sisters thanked many of the students and faculty for taking time out of their day to send Sister Prisca off in a memorable way.

Once the send-off came to a close, students made their way back into the building as teachers talked and reminisced about the experiences they were able to share with Sister Prisca.

Prisca Story

View Comments (1)