The Student News Site of Assumption High School

AHS Rocket Launch

AHS Rocket Launch

AHS Rocket Launch

Mr. Sumey takes the next step to a higher education

Hayley Davis

Doug Sumey is known for teaching acting classes and directing shows each year for the Rose Theatre Company. This summer he will experience something completely different. He will be returning to school to get his master’s degree.

“I’m excited to learn new ways of doing things with new standards,” Sumey stated.

Sumey will be traveling to Southern Oregon University where he will be part of a program called Masters of Theater Production and Design. He will be participating in this program for three weeks for the next three summers. He discovered the program through a brochure he received and was attracted to it because it allowed him to stay at Assumption.

There is some prep work that goes into getting a master’s degree. He has to do many assignments and design the lights, costumes, and set for the play Arsenic and Old Lace. He will be working with professionals from Southern Oregon University and the Oregon Shakespeare Festival.

“I want to come in next year with a new way of doing things and have an understanding of how it will be done,” Sumey said.

Sumey will be leaving July 11 and returning Aug. 1. He hopes to continue to grow throughout the program. He wants to learn more about technical aspects and using different software for scenery.

Personality Profile Mr. Sumey

5,564
View Comments (5,564)
Donate to AHS Rocket Launch

Your donation will support the student journalists of Assumption High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.