Tumblr: Changing Society

One of the fastest growing social media sites, Tumblr has a total of 201.7 million blogs and over 90.4 billion posts. However, Tumblr isn’t an ordinary social media site like Facebook or Twitter.

Much like the network competition show, The Voice, when users of Tumblr and other similar sites find a blog or page they want to follow, they have to judge the blog simply on the its content and appearance, as the person who runs the blog typically runs it anonymously. This is how Tumblr is changing the meaning of social media.

Social media sites such as Twitter and Facebook provide an easy way to stay in contact with old friends while keeping up with your current friends as well. However, Tumblr is a great way to follow people who share the same interests as you, but live across the world at the same time. It also makes it possible for a user to be friends with someone regardless of race, age, weight, or gender.

With 81% of teens using social media, it can no longer be viewed as simply a place to post funny things and chat with your current friends. It’s now a place to share ideas and gain a greater worldview by communicating with people across the globe.

Article By Victoria Shircliffe

2,454
View Comments (2,454)