AHS Rocket Launch

The Student News Site of Assumption High School

AHS Rocket Launch

AHS Rocket Launch

Thanksgiving Prayer Service

The entire school was able to gather together in the gym for the Thanksgiving Prayer Service on Tuesday, November 23rd. This service was to celebrate the holidays and share our thanks with the community. Many students look forward to this celebration because it gives them an opportunity to tell their peers their thankful for them. Although all students, faculty, and staff attend, it is open to anyone else who wants to join our community for the service.

Weeks leading up to this mass, students in their theology classes are asked to write thanksgiving letters to anyone of their choice. Although everyone writes a letter, a handful a students are selected to read their letters out loud at the service. The person the have selected to write this letter to doesn’t know the letter is about them which triggers a lot of emotions for not just the two reading and receiving the letter, but for those watching. These letters read go to various members inside and out of our community: students, teachers, family members, and more. This section of the mass is such a touching and inspirational moment.

Also, during this service, we got to recognized someone in our community for their outstanding works of mercy. Claire Feller ’16, received a medal gifted by the Sisters of Mercy. Claire volunteered at a free clinic called the Mercy Volunteer Corporation. This medal is titles “Who Will Tell The Story?”, and Claire is living this out through her various works.  She is now attending University of Louisville as a medical student and plans to continue helping out those in need all around the world.

We were excited to honor another strong woman in our community. Janet Adkins, Social Studies teacher, received the Rose Award. This award is giving at this mass each year, and a faculty or staff member is selected for their care for those in our own Assumption community. Mrs. Adkins has been a teacher at Assumption for 23 years and is loved by every students or teacher she works with. She is a great example of someone who is passionate for the Sisters of Mercy critical concerns.

Our community welcomed three current Sisters of Mercy. Sr. Paulanne Diebold, Sr. Justina, and Sr. Diana Newton attended the service where they were appreciated for their dedication to continuing on Catherina McAuley’s mission. We are thankful for all their service and all they have done for those in need. They are active role models and great leaders for women of mercy to strive to be like.

The Thanksgiving Prayer Service is a very looked forward to service each year. Students love the opportunity to share their gratitude with those around them. It was also an exciting chance for Assumption to honor and recognize various members of our community for their great work and strong drive to continue and live out the Sisters of Mercy’s mission. Faculty, staff, and students were fortunate to gather all together again and share their words of thanks.

By: Riley Givens