The Kentucky Governor Elections- So What?

On November 7, Kentuckians will hit the polls to vote in the Governor election, including many Assumption students. The Republican candidate is Daniel Cameron, and the incumbent Democratic candidate is Andy Beshear. Assumption students have been surveyed on the upcoming election and their knowledge of the candidates.

When surveyed about their familiarity with the candidates on a scale from 1 to 5, more students on average were familiar with Andy Beshear than Daniel Cameron with Beshear at 2.53 out of 5 and Cameron at 1.46 out of 5. This shows that many students are uninformed about the candidates.

How can we be more informed students and voters? Social studies teacher, Mr. Lega, suggests using local sources and the personal websites of each candidate. We also surveyed what students think the most pressing issues of Kentucky are. The responses we got called attention to crime, homelessness and education.

Andy Beshear, the incumbent candidate, states that he is,“ committed to setting a positive tone and fighting for all of Kentucky’s families…ensuring…that Kentucky is a welcoming and inclusive place for everyone.” Beshear and his office ended Kentucky’s rape kit backlog, seeking justice for sexual assault victims. Governor Beshear has created thousands of job opportunities since taking office, and according to the Commonwealth of Kentucky, our state has seen a record low unemployment and the best two-year period in state history for economic growth.

Beshear’s administration has advocated for an 11% increase in teachers’ salaries, universal preschool, and a new education budget plan, including fully funded transportation.

Beshear aims to create an inclusive and positive culture in Kentucky, stating, “I’ve always said that my job is to look out for the lost, the lonely and the left behind. That means ensuring that our people can access quality health care, that our most vulnerable have a voice at the ballot box, and that Kentucky is a welcoming, inclusive place for everyone.”

Daniel Cameron, the Republican candidate expresses, “In a Cameron Administration we will reward a culture that respects work, not one that settles for government dependence.” Cameron is currently Attorney General of Kentucky, served as legal counsel for Senator Mitch McConnell and helped with the confirmation process for former president Trump’s Federal judges. Cameron plans to initiate polices to address loss of learning from COVID-19, funding for the Police and crime. Cameron’s administration plans to push a 16-week tutoring program for students falling behind in math and reading, raising starting pay for teachers and supporting public education.

Cameron plans on introducing a 12-point crime reduction plan, which would increase penalties for drug traffickers and creating a $5,000 recruitment and retention bonus for police officers. He aims to build a culture in Kentucky that respects, supports and highlights the police publicly.

The deadline for Kentuckians to register to vote is October 10, 2023, by 4:00 p.m. and the general election is November 7, 2023. 17-year-olds may register to vote if they will be 18 by November 7. An absentee ballot can be sent in and there are polling stations for voting in person.