The Student News Site of Assumption High School

AHS Rocket Launch

AHS Rocket Launch

AHS Rocket Launch

Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month

Assumption students celebrated Hispanic Heritage month, which took place from September 15-October 15. Each year, the United States celebrates the many contributions from Hispanic Americans and their culture, history and accomplishments.

Here at Assumption, our students are celebrating by doing many activities in the community. The Diversity Clubs’ initial introduction to the celebration was creating posters for the hallways highlighting famous Hispanic people and their accomplishments. Students enjoyed the festive atmosphere which included papel picado and pinatas. Assumption seniors Jaelyn Cruz, Roxana Ramos, Amy Huerta and junior Yahira Perez allowed for their Quinceanera dresses to be displayed in the Atrium. One of their culminating activities was going to the Backside Learning Center at Churchill Downs. The Diversity Club invited all students to go on a field trip to learn more about the Hispanic community and their contributions to the Backside of Churchill Downs. Backside workers do hard work serving as groomers, hotwalkers, and exercise riders for the horses.

Around 80% of the 1,000 workers at the Backside of Churchill Downs are of Hispanic heritage, 30% of them being women. Some have families in their home countries they must provide for. They work 365 days a year and rarely have an off day. The Backside Learning Center provides support and resources in a safe welcoming environment for the diverse community for racetrack workers and their families. Their work is centered around education support for both adults and youth, health and wellness and human services.

The Diversity Club was grateful to learn so much about Hispanic Heritage in their own community. To end the celebration, the Diversity Club had a Cuban musician play music to students at their lunches. All these activities have allowed Assumption to get more familiar with Hispanic culture.