AHS Rocket Launch

The Student News Site of Assumption High School

AHS Rocket Launch

AHS Rocket Launch

Opinion: Fall Sports Pep Rally Excites Community

A pep rally, by definition, is a meeting aimed at inspiring enthusiasm, but at Assumption High School, pep rallies are taken to a whole new level. As a community, we come together to not only celebrate our achievements, but to create memories that will last a lifetime. At the 2015 Fall Sports Pep Rally, we achieved this goal.

To kick off the event, we introduced our fall sports teams, which included golf, cross country, field hockey, soccer, and volleyball. Each team ran through a bright colored banner and added their own unique swagger to their entrance while the packed gym roared with anticipation. All 830 students were up on their feet, cheering on their athletic sisters.

Just as the students and faculty thought the most exciting part of the pep rally was over, they were proven wrong. The giant projector in the middle of the gym flashed to a new slide that read “Jimmy Fallon Lip Sync Battle”. The students thundered with excitement.  Teachers and staff came out from behind the curtain as their act was announced and lip synced different songs. The first act of the afternoon was “Wannabe” by the Spice Girls performed by math teachers Tiffany Hall and Tracy Homan. The entire school screamed as if the Spice Girls were actually in the building.

Next up was the “Watch Me” group including three of Assumption’s most enthusiastic teachers, Renae Hardy, Paula King, and Kali McKinley. They whipped out their best moves which made the whole gym vibrate with energy. Immediately following was a lip-sync performance from Assumption’s head custodian, David McCauley.  He dressed up to look like Stevie Wonder as he perfectly executed the song “I Wish”.

To follow that act was Assumption’s award-winning dance team. The team was dressed for success in their sparkly hip-hop attire as they busted a move in front of their teachers and classmates. The students of AHS cheered as the dance team ruled the gym floor. They performed flawlessly. They finished with a boom, making Assumption proud to call them their own.

However, the final act was one that will never be forgotten. Many people have heard the song “Let it Go” from the movie Frozen, but Assumption’s President, Principal, Dean of Students, and Dean of Studies teamed up to perform a memorable rewrite of the song. They changed the words to get students motivated for national testing day, which was the day following the pep rally. The administration dressed up as four of the main characters from the movie and entertained the student body with their dance moves. Everyone within Assumption High School had wide eyes and big smiles as they enjoyed the show.

Even as the Fall Sports Rally concluded the energy was still alive within the students. While walking out of the gym doors, faculty, staff, and students chanted Assumption’s fight song. Students and faculty left feeling motivated and grateful to be a part of a loving and compassionate community.

Story & Photos By: Sabrina Fussenegger

Video By: Katelyn Stearman