AHS Rocket Launch

The Student News Site of Assumption High School

AHS Rocket Launch

AHS Rocket Launch

Music Review: She is back, with her first studio album since 2008’s Discipline

Janet Jackson’s “Unbreakable” released just a few days ago on October 2nd, has already won me over. The soulful and distinctive voice she has, really shows through on this album. She expressed a lot of emotion and is very reflective throughout the tracks, and offers lots of encouraging lyrics to those listening.

She opens the album with the song Unbreakable which is the same name as her album title. It starts off almost completely acapella and then speeds things up to a more pop and R&B mix. The background singers come in around the one minute mark helping sing the catchy chorus, and then transitions into some musical melodies. The song then slows down and just when you think it’s going to end Janet speaks overtop of some soft music on the track saying she’s glad we are still here and that she hopes we enjoy. Which I did.

Another favorite of mine from the album would be the one of the two singles released from the album, and one of the only two features on the album; No Sleep featuring J. Cole. This one is more of a passionate love song, having a slower tempo and smooth lyrics. J. Cole comes in towards the end of the song with his own lyrics, doing his usual slow rap vibe to the track. This song is also one of the only songs on the album that already has a music video.

The whole album has a very easy going sound, with its occasional more pop vibe songs from featured artists and even herself. Burn it up, featuring Missy Elliot, is the fastest tempo song on the album, and has the straight fast beat pop vibe. It was released in late September as a teaser to Janet’s album. You know when Missy Elliot is on a song it’s going to be good, and this also isn’t the first time the two have worked together. Back in 2008 Janet, Missy, and Carly Simmons collaborated on a song Son of a Gun this was a more rap and hip-hop vibe song, its another one of those breakup songs even saying “bet you think this song is about you, I’m better off without you.” Also having its own video which wasn’t my taste as much.

Janet has a style and a voice that is very similar to her brother Michael’s. Janet has grown a lot but she still has her classic Janet Jackson sound only now with a more modern twist. The album all together was very clean cut, deep, and personal. Mainly dealing with her low-key moments of reflection and nostalgia.  Even though it has been seven years since she put out an album, I assure you listening to this one you will know it was definitely worth the wait. Janet is already on tour for the album and I can’t wait to possibly go see her.

By: Emilie Haupt