AHS Rocket Launch

The Student News Site of Assumption High School

AHS Rocket Launch

AHS Rocket Launch

Cross Country State Champions

The Cross-Country team competed in the KHSAA Class 3A State Championship on Saturday, October 30th. After a muddy race at the Bourbon County Cross Country Course, your rockets took home the state title. This is the first time the team has won state since 2013.

With their top runner, sophomore, Reagan Gilmore, passing out before completing the race, sophomore, Julia Schmitt, stepped up and finished in 19:39.38 which placed her fifth overall. The six other runners followed behind and secured their spot as the state winners. Leah Penick placed 10th with Mattie Whitworth following close by in 15th. Assumption scored 103 with Manual trailing close behind at 119. Oldham country fought hard to defend their three-year reign of Class 3A but placed third. Assumption took back the trophy and proved their place at number 1.

Although only seven girls from the team competed, it was team effort. They couldn’t have done it without their teammates cheering them on as they ran. Many view cross-country as an individual sport, but this team proved them otherwise. Their support never wavered regardless of the rainy weather. “The poor weather didn’t have an effect on whether we would be at the race or not,” said teammate, junior, Natalie Matis. “It would be unfair if we didn’t go to the race. I have their back because they will always have mine.”

Today, Assumption students and staff gathered in the gym to celebrate and honor the entire team. All runners wore their cross-country spirit wear to honor their hard-earned state title. Their coach, Barry Haworth, spoke during the event and congratulated each runner for their hard work. He reminded the school that each teammate contributed to winning whether or not they competed in the championship race.

Congrats to our rocket runners for winning the class 3A Cross-Country State Championship!

By: Riley Givens